7.20.2013


Where is the truth? But first of all, what is an object? 
Maybe an object is what serves as a link between subjects, allowing us to live in society, to be together. 
But since social relations are always ambiguous, 
Since my thoughts divide as much as unite and my words unite by what they express and isolate by what they omit, 
Since a wide gulf separates my subjective certainty of myself from the objective truth others have of me, 
Since I constantly end up guilty even though I feel innocent, 
Since every event changes my daily life, 
Since I always fail to communicate to understand to love and be loved every failure deepens my solitude, 
Since I cannot escape the objectivity crushing me nor the subjectivity expelling me, 
Since I cannot rise to a state of being nor collapse into nothingness I have to listen more than ever, 
I have to look around me at the world, my fellow creature, my brother. 

- Two Or Three Things I Know About Her (1967
Jean-Luc Godard